ASSESSING STROKE PATIENTS' TREATMENT AND PROGNOSIS TO ENHANCE THERAPEUTIC STRATEGIES

Authors

  • Nadeem Ullah Khan Wazir COMSATS University Islamabad-Abbottabad Campus, Pakistan.
  • Asad Ur Rahman Department of Pharmacognosy and Pharmaceutical Botany, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Prince of Songkla University, Hat-Yai, Thailand.
  • Rizwan Amir Khan Saidu Medical College Saidu Sharif, Swat-19200, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
  • Irfan Amir Khan COMSATS University Islamabad-Abbottabad Campus, Pakistan.
  • Ihsan Ullah Wazir Peshawar Medical College, Peshawar-25000, K.P.K., Pakistan
  • Noman Ullah Wazir Peshawar Medical College, Peshawar-25000, K.P.K., Pakistan
  • Muhammad Aftab Wazir Lady Reading Post Graduate Hospital, Peshawar-25000, K.P.K., Pakistan
  • Tawseef Ahmad Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Prince of Songkla University, Hat-Yai, Thailand.

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.56536/ijpihs.v4i2.99

Keywords:

Stroke, Ischemia, Hypertension, Aspiration Pneumonia, Drug-drug interactions

Abstract

Background: Stroke is the second leading cause of death and disability worldwide. Global stroke rates rise with age. Socioeconomic factors make low- and middle-income youth more susceptible to stroke. Objectives: This study assessed many strokes incidence and predictive factors in Pakistan. Methodology: Stroke cases were studied at Peshawar Postgraduate Hospital. The study comprised consenting patients with recent first-time or recurrent strokes without secondary causes. Results: Our study found that strokes are more common in men (88%) and those over 63. The satisfied income group (72%) and urban population (60%) were the most affected. Ischemic type affected 84% of these cases. Anatomical MRI data shows that a stroke can impact any brain region. Hypertension (55%), with a mean blood pressure of 136/84 and 109/67mm Hg in male and female patients, respectively, was the main risk factor for stroke. Stroke victims' lipid levels were mostly normal. Aspiration pneumonia occurred in 19% of stroke patients. Blood chemistry assays for haemoglobin, total lymphocyte count, blood urea, alkaline phosphatase, and random blood sugar showed significant alterations. 28%, 47%, and 5% of patients' prescription regimens had minor, major, and severe interactions, respectively. Conclusion: Our study found that urban Khyber Pakhtoon Khwa inhabitants have a higher stroke risk than rural residents. These patients had mostly ischemic strokes. This paper summarizes stroke demographics, kinds, and interactions to help discover effective treatments for this potentially fatal disorder.

Downloads

Published

2023-09-01

How to Cite

Nadeem Ullah Khan Wazir, Asad Ur Rahman, Rizwan Amir Khan, Irfan Amir Khan, Ihsan Ullah Wazir, Noman Ullah Wazir, Muhammad Aftab Wazir, & Ahmad, T. (2023). ASSESSING STROKE PATIENTS’ TREATMENT AND PROGNOSIS TO ENHANCE THERAPEUTIC STRATEGIES . International Journal of Pharmacy & Integrated Health Sciences, 4(2), 101–111. https://doi.org/10.56536/ijpihs.v4i2.99